The News or Article revealed right here is property of the given Source they usually have all of the possession rights Source hyperlink http://www.secsports.com/article/30134611/texas-runs-state-second-straight-win
STARKVILLE, Miss. (AP) – Isaiah Spiller ran for 114 yards and two touchdowns and Kellen Mond threw for 2 scores to assist No. 11 Texas A&M beat Mississippi State 28-14 on Saturday.
Texas A&M (3-1) led 14-Zero on the half and had 325 yards of complete offense within the sport. Ainias Smith caught 5 passes for 20 yards and a landing. Chase Lane caught two passes, together with a 51-yard landing reception within the opening minutes of the third quarter.
Mississippi State (1-3) had little offensive rhythm for the third straight sport. The Bulldogs’ first landing got here on Emmanuel Forbes’ interception return within the third quarter.
Bulldogs coach Mike Leach benched beginning quarterback KJ Costello halfway via the second half for freshman Will Rogers, similar as he did final week in a 24-2 loss at Kentucky. Rogers related with Malik Heath for a 15-yard landing cross within the fourth quarter.
Texas A&M’s protection regularly disrupted the road of scrimmage, ending with six sacks and eight tackles for loss. Mississippi State had minus-2 yards speeding and 217 yards of complete offense.
Post Game Notes
- Texas A&M’s veteran offensive line has gone three straight video games, together with 120 cross makes an attempt, since final giving up a sack. The solely sack allowed by the unit this 12 months got here within the second quarter of the Vanderbilt sport.
- The A&M protection tallied a season-high six sacks within the sport, essentially the most for the reason that 2018 season in opposition to each Kentucky and LSU.
- Over the final two video games A&M has gone 9-of-10 within the pink zone, scoring seven touchdowns and a pair of area objectives.
- Mississippi State’s -2 speeding yards on the day was the fewest allowed by the Aggie protection in an SEC sport since Auburn completed with 19 yards on the bottom in 2018.
- The final time an A&M opponent completed the sport with detrimental speeding yards was in 2004 when Wyoming completed with -Three yards.
- The A&M protection didn’t enable Mississippi State to run a play within the pink zone.
- The victory over Mississippi State was A&M’s first in Starkville for the reason that 2012 season.
- Today’s captains at Mississippi State had been DL Micheal Clemons, OL Carson Green and OL Ryan McCollum.
- With the victory, senior QB Kellen Mond moved to 25-13 for his profession as a starter, which ties him with Kevin Murray (1983-86, 25-6-1) and David Walker (1973-74, 76-77, 25-9) for second on A&M’s all-time listing.
- Sophomore RB Isaiah Spiller scored a pair of first-half touchdowns for the fourth multi-touchdown sport of his profession.
- Spiller completed the sport with 114 speeding yards, eclipsing the century mark for eighth time in his profession and third time this season.
- Freshman WR Chase Lane hauled in a 51-yard cross from Mond for his longest reception and second landing of the 12 months.
- Senior LB Buddy Johnson continued to steer the A&M protection, filling out the stat sheet with a career-high 12 tackles, in addition to a sack, a pressured fumble for the second straight sport and two breakups.
- This was the fourth straight sport Johnson has led the crew in tackles and the fifth time in his profession he has reached double figures within the class.
- Sophomore DL DeMarvin Leal tripled his profession excessive with three QB hurries on the day, additionally including his first sack of the season.
- Sophomore S Brian Williams entered the sport with two profession tackles and completed the Mississippi State sport with a career-high 4 takedowns, together with his first profession sack.
- Senior DB Myles Jones had an interception within the first quarter, marking his first of the season, fourth of his profession.
- True freshmen made an influence on either side of the ball in opposition to Mississippi State as RB Devon Achane had his first profession carry, DL McKinnley Jackson batted down two passes and S Antonio Johnson made 4 tackles.
- Sophomore Chris Russell Jr. blocked a Mississippi State punt within the second quarter to arrange A&M’s second landing of the sport. This was the primary blocked punt since Roshaud Paul and Deshawn Capers-Smith blocked a Wake Forest punt on the finish of the 2017 season.
Jayden Peevy on…
…dominance of line play:
“I felt nice, simply due to observe. We practiced properly this week Mike Elko had a terrific sport plan and we simply practiced actual arduous this week to have a terrific sport.”
…getting push with a 3 man rush:
“We had a terrific rotation, me and McKinnley Jackson had been simply in there pushing with Micheal Clemons and DeMarvin Leal. We all had a superb sport right now so it was nice to see all people play arduous.”
…indication of observe final week to have the ability to rush the cross/fumble restoration:
“We practiced on cross rush all week, that was the primary focus and get to the quarterback. I’ve by no means had a landing earlier than and I used to be that shut, it was gonna be my first one. I did not know who was behind me and I used to be simply making an attempt to run, making an attempt to choose my legs up after which some.”
…to return in right here and win for the primary time in eight seasons:
“Any win on the highway is a good win for us. Haven’t received in eight years, that is one thing massive for us and I did not know that. I’m glad we completed that and this win is an enormous examine mark for us.”
Carson Green on…
…expectation of getting success operating the ball early:
“The complete week we knew the large emphasis was that we we wanted to indicate the entire world that final week we received that sport and that they did not lose it. It was a troublesome sport however we wanted to indicate that we’re additionally a troublesome crew, so all week the large emphasis was that we wanted to run the ball. We made an emphasis final week, we wanted to make one other emphasis this week that we are able to run on anyone. Last week we observe fairly arduous, Coach Fisher is placing us in good formations and good operating set so we are able to get these yards that we’d like.”
…on when the Aggies are a run-first crew:
“Our important joke is man’s we have to run the ball or he’ll need to cross the ball and I do not assume any o-lineman actually likes passing the ball, who needs to get tee-ed off when some guys operating at you 5, they’re doing twist and every thing. Our massive factor is guys we have to make it possible for we present him we are able to run the ball so he does not need to name cross performs as a result of he loves passing the ball to receivers.”
“I did not know that Peevy was that quick. Honestly this was a terrific crew win, protection undoubtedly earned that win. They busted their ass and did a terrific job, they acquired quite a lot of massive turnovers for us and the punt block was an enormous turnover. The offense on the finish simply needed to run the clock out, it was only a massive general crew win that we wanted.”
…on the expansion of the crew:
“It’s only a completely different 12 months, this crew has quite a lot of seniors and I feel we’re simply actually shut. There was quite a lot of stuff occurring, quarantine both killed groups or helped groups out and I feel ultimately it helped us. We ended up being quite a bit nearer to one another, Braden White stepped up as a pacesetter and made some completely different stuff. We had a pair humorous issues we would do throughout fall camp, like one is itch your boy and Buddy Johnson got here up with that. You acquired be taught extra about individuals and the crew acquired nearer as a complete. This 12 months we aren’t cratering, we all know we have now one another’s backs. If the offense is hurting, the protection is aware of they need to step up and if the protection is hurting, the offense is aware of that we have now to maintain it going. Last week it was the offense is rolling however protection simply needed to get one cease for us they usually did it. Same for this week, protection actually took the sport however we knew on the finish the offense needed to run out the clock and that is what we did.”